
Despite what everyone says...and despite those nice images of guys surfing pristine waves of cold blue liquid...THERE IS NO SURF IN ALASKA!
But wait a minute, you ask...what about those pictures and the stories from professional surfers that have had the privilege of surfing spots like Yakutat?
FUCK THAT! Ever tried to simply hire a plane, or boat to get to a spot that, even when you get there, might not be firing off on all cylinders? Logistically and financially, surfing in Alaska is not something that you do by simply jumping in your car and driving 10 minutes to get to the spot. It requires something more, which in my spoiled mind means too much.
I guess if I had had a better sesh at Sandy Beach in Sitka (a very very fickle piece of limited liquid enjoyment), then I might think differently. However, the 4 hour journey via the fast ferry and dismal display of close-out after close-out on a day that was supposed to be perfect (as forecasted by a fellow surfing friend who knows his shit having lived up here for some time) made me only cry out for the small knee-slappers back home in NORCAL. At least there, I wouldn't have to take 4 hours to get there!
I'm done with it...going to take this year to keep in shape, save money and prepare for my return to NORCAL. Whether there be a job there when I return or not, at least I'll have surf available day in and out...and I won't take advantage of it like I did before coming up here. I'll respect it and revel in its abundance and available proximity...unlike the surf in Alaska, which, THERE ISN"T ANY!
But wait a minute, you ask...what about those pictures and the stories from professional surfers that have had the privilege of surfing spots like Yakutat?
FUCK THAT! Ever tried to simply hire a plane, or boat to get to a spot that, even when you get there, might not be firing off on all cylinders? Logistically and financially, surfing in Alaska is not something that you do by simply jumping in your car and driving 10 minutes to get to the spot. It requires something more, which in my spoiled mind means too much.
I guess if I had had a better sesh at Sandy Beach in Sitka (a very very fickle piece of limited liquid enjoyment), then I might think differently. However, the 4 hour journey via the fast ferry and dismal display of close-out after close-out on a day that was supposed to be perfect (as forecasted by a fellow surfing friend who knows his shit having lived up here for some time) made me only cry out for the small knee-slappers back home in NORCAL. At least there, I wouldn't have to take 4 hours to get there!
I'm done with it...going to take this year to keep in shape, save money and prepare for my return to NORCAL. Whether there be a job there when I return or not, at least I'll have surf available day in and out...and I won't take advantage of it like I did before coming up here. I'll respect it and revel in its abundance and available proximity...unlike the surf in Alaska, which, THERE ISN"T ANY!
how did I miss your blog? Keep the faith bro! snowboarding???
ReplyDeleteYes...there be much fun in the snow to be had in Juneau, but the problem I have with snowboarding is that it's not done in a ever-changing ever-evolving environment. Frozen liquid just doesn't do it for me...but thanks for comment.
ReplyDeleteCool blog. Too bad about the surf.
ReplyDelete-AM
really? damn. Alaska off the list...
ReplyDelete