Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Price of Sacrifice

Why does one do it...why would anyone give up the constant gratification of connecting with something so natural and instinctive...so fun and spiritually fulfilling for the lonesome lameness of isolated introspection? How can someone live without the liquid playground of accessible surf? In two words: THE DREAM

Since moving up to the frosted frozen madness of Alaska, where everyone seems numb or indifferent towards the environmental glory and beauty that encapsulates their lives, I've have begun to develop a plan that successfully incorporates my sincere desire of finally becoming fully self-sustained and engaged with my dream of living the life of a full-time surfing nomad. Yes...I'm slowly moving towards the fulfillment of becoming one with the swell while achieving the goal of disconnecting from the grid of modern life.

Not any easy task and a bit scary as well...though I'm not a rich person, the move up north has provided me with a significant financial resource that is both stable and constant, thus ensuring that the first, and most important, factor of THE DREAM is realized: Money to acquire the tools

Now that I have job that pays well, my life has become a study in financial limitation and optimum savings. Given what I have to do with the time I have left, I have figured that it will take me approximately $20,000 of saved funds. Currently I have $4000 and will have $6000 by the end of the year. Once the new year begins, I will then be able to move my savings into overdrive, thus enabling me to have saved another $12,000 by the time I leave Alaska for California next August. That will put me close to my goal...a goal of being able to purchase a new 4x4 diesel truck and camper for myself, which will in turn become my primary home for the next several months until a more permanent job situation arises (which could take time in CA). Anyways, this is the plan and it's hard not to wish that it was already D-Day for its implementation, but it helps keep me going and hoping for that day when I and the sea become connected once again...a guy can dream.

For those interested, this is the 4x4 diesel truck I'm looking to get:

It gets an estimated 30 mpg and has a payload of over 2700 lbs! Yeah, it's manufacturer is based in India, but fuck it...American and Japanese mid-size trucks suck in comparision with this truck's mpg and payload capacities...and it has a base price of just $22,000

And now the Truck Camper:

The Northstar Freedom camper...full "wet" weight for this camper is only 2411 lbs...with a 130 watt solar panel installed, I'll be somewhat "free" to roam surf spots while enjoying my nomadic lifestyle in comfort.

Who knows what will happen...this is my dream...has been one for several years. The move to Alaska made it grow into a full-fledged plan of attack. Now it's time to make it real! Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. I have no doubt that you will realize this dream. Living in California makes us lazy in so many ways. Now that you've been exiled, the blinders are off (while ours are still on). Your vision is clear. Keep blogging and letting us know how this all pans out.

    ReplyDelete