In with the NEW, and out with the OLD...I have decided to keep track of how many "actual" surf sessions I allow myself to enjoy throughout the entire 2011 year.
I was a bit late to my first session of 2011, New Years Day...having hoped that the surf surge would not occur until later in the day...WRONG! Spent a pathetic 30 min in the water and only caught two nice ones before calling it. I have resolved to get a gym membership and start swim training again, as I suck in my own abilities to stay focused and not fearful in double-overhead conditions. Additionally, my ability to paddle away from incoming bombs is too limited as I soon discovered after riding a nice one to the inside, only to receive the next two liquid bombs of the set upon my head.
Anyways, big for the next couple of days and work will keep me out of the water...here be some pics of my first session of 2011.


That day looked pretty heavy! By the look of the pics it didn't look like there was any lull and was generally short period. That is buuuutal!
ReplyDeleteYeah...big and nasty! Though quite easy to get outside if you timed the sets just right.
ReplyDeleteI swim and I lift. Well, I've stopped swimming mainly because the pool bores me and I can keep my cardiovascular fitness up by doing something else. I do want to suggest that weights help . . . a lot. Right now, I'm in the endurance phase of my lifting program. I do two sets of 30 reps with a minute rest in between the sets. This teaches the muscles to keep working through fatigue (like having to paddle like hell to avoid bomb after bomb).
ReplyDeleteIn other words, I suggest you do the swimming for your lungs and the lifting for your muscles.
Thanks for the suggestion surfsista...I'll need the endurance if I ever want to surf wit you and Christian down in SOCAL. :-)
ReplyDelete