Sunday, June 20, 2010

Selling Stoke


Came across a wonderful article that was written for the LA Times online that claims the survival of surfing, in these dire economic times, can be directly attributed to the popularity of SUPs and the hilariously lame-assed consumer driven demand for pseudo-surfing related clothing items produced by the same companies responsible for pushing this new trend upon us all. Here's the link:

www.latimes.com/features/image/la-ig-actionside-20100620,0,4362200.story

However, what really got my board-shorts all knotted up was the overtly insidious notion that if someone bought a "surf-infused clothing item" they would have an immediate conversion to the whole surf ideal...ready to hang-ten and achieve stoke. Hey, want some stoke and live the life of a Hawaiian surfer, but can't move to Hawaii or claim any Polynesian heritage, than wear this (from SUP company C4 Waterman):

OH YEAH...REAL KOOKS WEAR THIS

Here's a direct quote from Todd Bradley, co-founder C4 Waterman: "...the company is seeing success with offerings such as limited-edition rash guards with Polynesian tribal tattoo designs, called "kaku," by tattoo artist Keone Nunes. "Our customers are looking for something meaningful that taps into the rich history of Hawaiian and Polynesian culture," Bradley said. "Our biggest problem is keeping up with demand."

Yes, you too can co-op the proud tradition of kings without all that pain for just $80 + shipping...WHAT THE FUCK! The line-ups are already too crowded with the uninformed and uneducated, can you imagine that someone would actually wear something as ridiculous as this in the water...oh wait, I forgot..."Our biggest problem is keeping up with demand."

Now, I'm not saying that wearing surf-related clothing is not cool or something that I refuse to do myself. Yet, I would NEVER wear something that implies, through the assimilation of wearing it, that I'm now capable of surfing Pipe with the pros!

Maybe I'm being a bit too puritan with my viewpoint...maybe I should just give in to the fact that so long as surfing remains "cool" within our society, people, or corporations of people, will always try and sell the "lifestyle" to the rest of the world. BULLSHIT!

Sell your shit, but stop trying to sell the STOKE...you can't buy stoke, it has to be lived!

Thus endith the lesson.

4 comments:

  1. I like how some shithead at the Times suggests that surfing might go under if it weren't for the janitors and their paddles.

    Man, I wish. Just imagine the headline. "Surfing Industry Bankrupt! No One Will Ever Surf Again!"

    How great would that be? Empty line-ups because all of the transplants and aging yuppies with their funboards and BMWs quit and moved back to Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to post a comment on the LA Times website but the server f-d it up after I spent a long time writing a great response! trying again tomorrow. Thanks for alerting us to this BS. The "tribal" rashguard thing made me throw up a little in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw an ad in Transworld Surf with cast members of Jersey Shore all holding boards. If it wasn't for Snookies rack, the whole thing would have been a disaster.

    Say, on August 15th I'm leaving on a road trip and will surf my way up to Humboldt. I should arrive on the 20th or 21st. If you are in Arcata or Eureka (or nearby) we'll have to meet up, paddle out and throw buckets!

    ReplyDelete