Surf Session No. 43
Got up early to hit Swami's at dawn...was not expecting much
size, seeing the the forecast had it at 1-2 feet. However, with the water temp
being a balmy 70 degrees, I decided it was worth a look.
Drove down to the free parking spot, where there had already
assembled a rag-tag group of old men staring despondently at the lame liquid
breaking on the horizon. Most seemed to be doing the "wave snob"
method of forgoing a paddle out, which I can relate to, having had my fair
share of NORCAL days that resulted in "NO-GO" scenarios. However,
having driven so far for so little...well, how could I say no to 70 degree
water.
I said my good mornings before suiting up in my 3/4 with
rash guard setup and heading down the stairs to the fun that awaited me. As
soon as I immersed myself, I realized that I could have gone with just trunks
and a rash guard...that's how warm the water felt to me.
Was surfing with two other surfers for the first 15 min
before being joined by a handful of others. Since I wasn't a local, I stayed
off the peak and took scraps, which still provided some fun rides.
Another weird thing about SOCAL, and this spot in
particular, was the amount of Sea Grass and Kelp in the lineup. Was not enjoying
it until I figured out a way to grab a hold of the crap while paddling, using
it as an added push to my paddle.
At about the 30 min point of this sesh, I caught a nice left
that laid out a soft shoulder for me to play upon. As I crouched low to maintain
my speed on the face, I saw that the shoulder was peaking in front of me and
that I needed to pull up and off of the wave before it closed out.
Now remember, I am used to surfing in water that is, on
average, 50 degrees all year long. Likewise, I wear a 5/4 all year long too.
So, when I found myself in this tropical environment down South, my body was
not adequately prepared for the quick reactions and movements that I was now
capable of doing. Additionally, I did not stretch before entering the water.
As I quickly moved to pull off of the wave, I felt something
POP just under my left chest muscle. I was completely surprised and shocked by
the sensation, as I fell off of the board and into the water. Fortunately, I
had my leash on and did not lose the board.
As I climbed onto the board, I gave my chest a quick
assessment, feeling around the injured area and seeing if I broke something or
worse. I felt fine, with the exception of a slight ache and swollen feeling. I
decided to continue surfing, which I did for the next hour, with no further
problems.
My last wave was a pretty juicy set wave, which carried me
all the way to shore. I rinsed off at the showers and climbed the stairs to
pack up and get some coffee.
Despite being a little tender and swollen, the injury seemed
manageable and I really did not think that it would prevent me from surfing
later that afternoon with Valerie and Michelle.
Boy was I WRONG!
Here b the pics:
That sea grass and kelp REALLY DID suck!I am so bummed about your injury....
ReplyDeleteBut again I'm glad you managed to still surf with us !
You have a beautiful style ... Even while in pain. I wish I could have watches you at Swamis :-)
Now that I read your report, could the muscle injury come from the gesture of pulling the seagrass?
ReplyDeleteHey I just read you wire a 4/3... Wow that's my winter suit... And all winter I have been in my 3/2... Except the past weekend at San Eliji in board shorts rash guard and then my spring suit!!!
ReplyDeleteYou totally should have trunked it Pabs... The water was warm enough... And you have the abs to show off ;-)
....