So, I just wanted to thank everyone for wishing me a healthy
return to the realm of stoke, as well as providing an update on my recovery.
I'm dealing with a
wayward set of ribs that have lost some of their cartilage. In my case, it would appear that the
injury is not as serious as I thought. In fact, the more I have read up on this type of injury, the more I'm realizing how close I came to really messing up my body.
However, it will still be a long road to a full recovery, requiring lots of rest and no surfing for at least until mid-October. Yet, if I'm lucky
and my cartilage gets itself together, it could be by the end of
September...maybe.
I'm definitely taking my time with this one...I'm no longer
20 and need to keep reminding myself that it takes a bit longer to get healthy
than it used to. Besides, I'm not about to "retire" from
surfing...FUCK THAT!
The chest still feels sore. The injured area, on rare
occasions, still "pops" if I move the wrong way or involuntarily
belch. I have regained some flexibility, but will still need several weeks
before I'm even near where I was before I injured myself.
Anyways, hope you all are getting some stoke this
summer...I'll try and surf vicariously through your sessions.
That is all...Pabs

Still sounds like costochondritis....:-(....
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update Pabs ...
As for the video... No one seems to know how to copy it and the videographer is not a fan of you tube .... There has to be some way!
No worries on the video...we'll make more next summer when I return to share some waves with you again. Thanks for your concern and support!
DeleteI was worried about not hearing from you. I am relieved to hear that you are on a good way for a near to total recovery if you wait patiently until October... I know it is going to be hard to stay dry but at least you know now that the injury is reversible and that you will be back in the water. I had to watch Vincent surf for 7 months when I was pregnant :)
ReplyDeleteSorry bout being so silent...I'm a big believer in not complaining too much bout this kind of stuff...me man, no say much bout pain. :-)
DeleteI will wait...I look forward to watching you, and maybe Vincent too, surf next summer.
Thanks again for all of your help and support...please keep the Coco House reserved for me for next summer!
You can be patient until October. I'm certain of that. When I got the knee replaced, I had to wait for over three months to get back in the water. After the broken ankle, it was four months. You learn to make do. The good thing is that you know you will surf again!!
ReplyDeleteStay well and take care of yourself!
Surfsista! I was really looking forward to meeting you this trip...yep, patience is a virtue for us injury-prone types! :-)
DeleteThanks for the encouragement and well wishes for a speedy recovery.
pabs!! please take your time to recover!! I had shoulder surgery 3x's, most recently in October 2010, and had to stay out of the water for about 3 months... i'm sure you will be able to practice zen-like patience!! I hope you have a speedy recovery. glad there is no surgery involved if i'm not mistaken. keep telling yourself in your mind every day that you are healing, and the recovery will speed up. it's the power of the mind!
ReplyDeletegood luck my blogging friend. hope you still make it out to the beach to put your toes in the sand :)
KK...thanks for your words of encouragement...I will be fine and back in the water again b4 I get too crazy!
DeleteLooking forward to meeting you and Matt next time I'm down in SOCAL.
The body really takes its time to bounce back for us old ones. We'll try to keep feeding you stoke on the blogs and look forward to hearing that you are back in the water for those winter swells.
ReplyDelete