Sunday, May 1, 2011

It isn’t that I hate people, it's just that I can’t stand humanity

OK, it's been a while since I have really discussed anything "political" on this blog, as I have really come to terms with the notion that our current political system is broken beyond repair...name your poison: corporate wealth and its complete domination of all things political, the apathetic nature of Americans and their misplaced belief that they can really influence change (Obama...Mr. Change is simply plenty of the same), or the confused and ignorant choices that are being elevated as real solutions to our current state of things (really...gut education, make seniors pay more for health care, allow the rich to get richer and generate more war).

However, I had the opportunity recently to revisit something I said a while back (the title of this blog) that had me thinking about everything that has occurred since my earlier blog postings regarding the state of our society.

Face it people, we're done...finished as a Empire. It's all downhill from here, get ready for that slow slide into "has-been" status, as China begins to usurp our dominance and the global economy pushes the dollar to the brink of extinction. Oh, it might take a while for all of this to come to pass, but it will happen...what has happened before will happen again, as a favorite sci-fi series plot point made so abundantly clear to me a while back.

We are, and always will be, our own worst enemy. Until humanity as a whole recognizes that the old paradigm is just that...old and hypocritical in its approach to everything that the 21st century demands us to be...forward thinking, spiritual but not religiously driven, living in commune with the natural world and not in opposition to it, and more importantly...that everything and everyone has value. We will continue that march towards the drums of our own inevitable destruction, which is really not a bad thing from my perspective.

Today we face many difficult decisions, both within our own sphere of influence and beyond the scope of our own understanding. For me, living within my moment...staying focused on making my life work while attempting to prepare myself for what I truly do believe is right "around the corner" is all I believe in right now. If life introduces me to something tangible and rewarding then I'm all over it. Yeah, the selfish perspective, but please remember:

"It isn't that I hate people, it's just that I can't stand humanity."

So, this is why I surf best when left alone...why I actively seek out the non-crowded liquid environment...I need it to challenge me, to keep me sane in an insane world...to quiet my thoughts of the dreaded end, yet allowing me to touch the void of inevitable death. Surfing, for me at least, is my way of escape and will be where you'll find me when all comes tumbling down.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Pabs. I believe America is doomed. As I keep saying, we now spend so much time worshipping money and wealth that we've stopped celebrating intelligence and all the good it can do for a society. Americans are . . . stupid. And we've allowed ourselves to get that way. That's the result of pride. We never believed we could be something other than the greatest country on the planet. Alas, we are now a second world country. The powers that be don't give a rat's ass about the citizens. Compare Bush and Obama with FDR. The latter knew he was going to have to help all of us in order to get the country back on the right track. But those assholes who've been in Washington for ages, as well as the new ones who work their now, are too busy trying to help those with more than enough money make more money. That means the middle and lower classes get fucked over. And no one cares. That's what bothers me. They (the politicians) couldn't care in the least. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. But when you live in a world where money is everything and you've got both it and power, why would you care?

    Thank god for surfing.

    ReplyDelete