I had one ride where it all came together...the walk to the nose, backing off...then down to the bottom to make the section, then back atop to catch a nice off the lip maneuver before it all closed out and I was riding foam. Still fun, despite the short rides. The best way to enjoy ones birthing day.
But think about it...that's what makes it so rewarding for me: You're no longer in TOTAL CONTROL.
Moreover, when you surf, you're entering a realm that humans have no control over. An environment that can kill you at any time.
Though we would like to think we know what we're doing when immersed within the stoke-zone, we are in fact mere passengers upon a liquid carpet that can either unfold in glorious beauty, or be pulled out from under you in a surprisingly and humbling wipe-out.
Giving up and allowing yourself to abandon all control, including all of the life shit that we carry into water...is what makes it such a spiritual experience for many of us stoke seekers.
You have to simply allow yourself to "BE" in the moment...that also includes those times when mother water forces us into "going deep"...a metaphor for reaching into ourselves and finding our soul.
Happy Birthday, Pabs! I hope you had and have a wonderful day!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had some nice birthday waves to enjoy!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthing day to you as well, glad us "Bulls" can get some surf.
ReplyDeleteStill looks to cold and sharkey for me...
Belated Happy Birthday..and I LOVED this post.. ACTUALLY I am gonna copy your words if you do not mind to put on my FB to share with my Surf Friends..Well said is All I can say!
ReplyDelete