Monday, May 28, 2012

No. 28

Pre-Memorial Day paddle out with the Boss who Surfs at the regular spot.

Small conditions with fun but quick moving peaks that were holding up, if you inserted yourself into their "sweet spot".

Caught some really nice liquid energy that required quick mental adjustments, which always make me feel triumphant when I make the sections...in the pics below (the first two), you will see a surfer making a drop and right turn near a partially submerged rock (called "wash-rock")...this was my spot for the first half of this sesh, though the waves were a bit bigger.

Decided to move further South, to another peak, when some lame-ass kid showed up and started wave hogging, dropping in and inviting his equally lame father on a SUP to come on over.

Look, I know...share the waves, which is fine with me. However, when some asshole paddles directly out to your spot, catches his first long ride, then proceeds to paddle back out to the primary takeoff spot, ignoring the priority of those other surfers who have the right to the next set wave, and paddles into another wave, cutting off everyone else...I immediately make a mental note to self: Wave Hog.

This kook's inability to have a sense of  self and his own idiotic behavior was on full display during one of my more memorable rides.

I had just caught a thick and juicy set wave, and was moving down the line when for some reason this kid decides to simply paddle for the same wave, dropping in without even looking at me and acknowledging my shouts for him to back off...I decided to let it go, as these mental midgets are never worth the effort.

However, what this idiot does next really speaks volumes...he begins to wave to his dad, who is riding a SUP further North, inviting him and his boat over to the spot. The father turns out to be just as bad as the son...and with that, I'm done and move further South.

In the pics below (the last four), there is a series of the kid and SUPpy dad on the same wave...the kid is up on a wave in one pic, then the dad emerges, having dropped in on his own son, in the proceeding pics...yeah, LIKE FATHER like SON! Father must be proud to have trained his son so well at being a KOOK.

Anyways, despite this breach in etiquette, I had my fair share of fun and was glad to have had the sweet spot before it got spoiled.

Here b the pics:

3 comments:

  1. Funny. I had the same frustration lately. There is a surf family (dad + 2 sons) who surfs at my home spot. I see them all the time and none of the sons would say "hi" or even smile at me. Rude. Then comes the surfing part: the two brothers keep paddling on every single wave regardless of priority. Sometime the younger one would paddle for a wave I want too, stand up, start to ride the wave, and then, 10 feet later, decide the wave is not good enough for him (and I would I have loved that wave he just denied!!!!). Like you, now when I see one of them in the line-up I just paddle away otherwise they just spoil my session. I wish I can be more "zen" in the water and be able to enjoy any session regardless of the level of annoyance around. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best advice that I could give you is:

    Get out early, before the sun is up...given the distance that you have to drive, this might not be realistic, unless you can camp out at the spot...this allows you to get in the water b4 the idiots show up, which is exactly what I normally do up in NORCAL.

    If you're out in the water and see this behavior, best thing to do is to paddle away from the offending party, or if you feel brave, reciprocate by performing a "snake", cutting them off and stealing their priority on the wave.

    However, be advised, I once saw a guy start a fight with a woman at the 'Bu, for some perceived slight...so b sure you can back your shit up, or at least have your husband available! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips Pabs, I live 10 min from the spot, so I guess I could be brave and get up early when the forecast predict a decent swell. Sometimes, when the surf is predicted to be epic down here, you can paddle out when still dark and realize there are already 10 surfers in the line-up already... Talking about husband, when I get pissed off real bad, I usually send mine in the water right after and tell him to make sure the idiot is not taking anymore waves (my huband has a crazy paddling capacity even though he rides shortboards). It calms me and delights my husband to play the Ocean avenger ;)

    ReplyDelete